Lubrizol Research Analytical Chemist in Midland, Michigan
Location: Midland, Michigan, US, 48642
Company: Lubrizol Corporation
CPI Fluid Engineering, a division of The Lubrizol Corporation, is a world leader in synthetic compressor lubricants. CPI connects the best of both worlds – the production capabilities and technical resources of major equipment and lubricant manufacturers with the flexibility and responsiveness of a service-oriented organization. Lubrizol, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a market-driven global company that combines complex, specialty chemicals to optimize the quality, performance and value of customers’ products while reducing their environmental impact. Lubrizol produces and supplies technologies to customers in the global transportation, industrial and consumer markets. These technologies include lubricant additives for engine oils, driveline and other transportation-related fluids, industrial lubricants, and additives for gasoline and diesel fuel. In addition, Lubrizol makes ingredients and additives for home care and personal care products and pharmaceuticals, and specialty materials, including plastics technology and performance coatings in the form of resins and additives.
As an Analytical Chemist, your work will ensure high quality data output, optimized analytical test capability, and instrument uptime within the technology group. You will be focused on method development, new instrument selection/commissioning, and instrument maintenance. Additionally you will apply your analytical chemistry knowledge and training where appropriate to wet chemical techniques. You will support internal and external customers with technical service and in-depth failure analysis by working with the business group focused technical team.
- Understand and comply with all applicable internal corporate and external health, safety and environmental policies; act consistently with corporate standards of integrity
- Understand instrumental theories of operation for chromatographic, spectrochemical, auto-titration, and physical properties analysis techniques. Examples include but are not limited to gas chromatography, liquid chromatography, ICP spectroscopy, mass spectroscopy, UV spectroscopy, FT-IR spectroscopy, Karl Fischer titration, kinematic viscosity measurement, etc.
- Provide guidance to technology group when necessary on instrumental data generation and data analysis.
- Measure and monitor limits of detection and limits of quantization for instruments where appropriate.
- Understand wet chemical technique theory and operation. For example acid-base titrations, hydroxyl number titrations, elemental titrations, etc. Understand titrant standardization and coordinate appropriate standardization procedures where necessary.
- Write analytical procedures in accordance with company ‘control of documents’ policies
- Develop and maintain calibration procedures and calibration records as appropriate for laboratory instruments and procedures.
- Develop and maintain instrument and wet chemical method monitoring procedures as appropriate. Use statistical techniques such as control charting and gauge R&R
- Anticipate, determine, and understand customers’ unmet needs and market trends and apply analytical technologies to satisfy those requirements.
- Manage concurrent multiple projects.
- Participate in multi-functional project teams. Interface and solicit support from multiple groups (Sales and Marketing, Production, Quality Control, etc.)
- Maintain awareness of technical developments in relative fields of science.
- Provide support to customers.
- Initiate and organize laboratory work to meet multiple assignment objectives.
- Participate in industry conferences and symposiums as required by the management team
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
- Minimum BS in chemistry
- Advanced chemistry degree is considered a plus
- Knowledge in lubricant formulations and lubricant technologies through experience on the bench and experience with product manufacturers or key raw material suppliers is considered a plus
- Possess a high level of computer literacy
- Ability to manage projects effectively from start to finish including appropriate follow-up and attention to detail
- Ability to maintain an accurate clear legal record of experimental results and provide written summaries and initial interpretation of results
- Capable of independent action; takes initiative and leads decisively.
- Excellent decision making, problem solving skills, and the ability to interpret and translate experimental results into customer needs
- Ability to set objectives and identify resources/processes to accomplish goals
- Ability to anticipate, identify, and effectively assess issues/situations, gather data and background information, analyze information and determine steps for solution
- Role model for behaviors defined in the Competency model that include…
- Ability to work independently and cooperatively in a multidisciplinary environment
- Ability to effectively interface with management, customers and support groups
- Ability to keep work flowing smoothly, ensure available resources, and implement plans with subsequent monitoring as appropriate: manage time effectively
- Excellent organizational and planning skills
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, written and oral communication skills
- Strong team focus
Midland, Michigan offers a great quality of life with a mix of small-town America character blended with big-city opportunities. Our residents enjoy artistic, cultural and recreational opportunities fit for communities many times our size – all with the convenience and charm of a county of 83,000 people. There is so much more to see and experience right here in Midland County and we invite you to experience this great quality of life that Midland has to offer.
Lubrizol is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, religion, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic or trait protected by federal, state, or local law.</span> <p class="job-location"> <span class="jobmarkets"> <br /><strong>Nearest Major Market: </strong>Midland Michigan <br /><strong>Nearest Secondary Market: </strong>Saginaw </span> <span class="jobsegments"> <br /><strong>Job Segment: </strong> <span itemprop="industry">Analytics, Chemist, Chemical Research, Engineer, Management, Science, Research, Engineering </span> </span> </p> </div> <div aria-hidden="true" tabindex="-1"> <div class="applylink pull-right"> <a xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US" class="btn btn-primary btn-large btn-lg apply dialogApplyBtn " href="/talentcommunity/apply/521199700/?locale=en_US" tabindex="-1">Apply now »</a> </div> </div> <div class="clear clearfix"></div> </div> </div>