Lubrizol Lab Manager - Blend Test Services in Wickliffe, Ohio
Location: Wickliffe, Ohio, US, 44092
Company: Lubrizol Corporation
The Lubrizol Corporation, a Berkshire Hathaway company, is a market-driven global company serving customers in more than 100 countries. We own and operate manufacturing facilities in 17 countries, as well as sales and technical offices around the world. Through our global sales and manufacturing networks, we are able to deliver the products and services our customers need, where and when they need them.
At Lubrizol, our mission is straightforward: We improve lives as an essential partner in our customers’ success, delivering efficiency, reliability or wellness to their end users. Read the cover story in Smart Business Magazine to learn how Lubrizol plans to advance its growth.
Deliver for the Business
Provide support to business units and collaborate with business partners to meet their needs.
Respond to business partner feedback and resolve issues in a timely manner.Network and facilitate interactions with internal and external customers as well as other departments and divisions.
Ensure quality and integrity of laboratory data as well as BTS services and processes
Support Division and BTS Department Goals
- Support Testing Leadership Team in achieving departmental and divisional goals. Collaborate with global staff members on business issues and division objectives.
- Help shape and proactively improve the performance of the testing area and the department.
- Track Division and Department goals and the group's progress against them.
- Support processes that ensure operating flexibility in response to business units demands.
- Develop and administer operating and capital budgets for the group; work in partnership with staff members to manage overall BTS budgets.
- Manage ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 quality certifications to ensure method compliance.
- Support work force rebalancing and planning. Work with BTS staff for consistency in processes, resource sharing, and resource cross-training.
- Review lab metrics and benchmark independent labs when practical.
- Assume liaison responsibilities for BTS Business Partner representing a Lubrizol business unit. Attend business unit technical meetings and facilitate two-way communication regarding business needs as well as BTS needs.
- Manage employee development through PCMs, Performance and Career Management. Use the competencies and available career ladders with emphasis on establishing individual improvement plans. Provide coaching and timely performance feedback to group members.
- Foster an environment that encourages employees’ professional growth and promotes continuous improvement. Assist employee development with cross-training assignments as needed.
- Ensure that employees follow corporate policies, philosophies, and practices.
- Actively support the rewards and recognition process in the Testing Division that reinforces the desired "culture" and assures accountability.
- Recruit and maintain talent into the department as dictated by business needs. Manage interviewing and hiring of contractors, student interns, and full-time employees.
- Participate and provide leadership on Lab Safety Committee. Collaborate with Environmental Health and Safety personnel to plan and implement safety protocols and laboratory best practices.
- Actively support safety initiatives such as RCMS (Responsible Care Management System) and OSHA VPP (Voluntary Protection Program) and ensure appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) is identified and used for department activities on and off site.
Skills, Experience, and Qualifications
Bachelor’s degree in Chemistry, Engineering, or technical discipline.
- Minimum 5 years technical experience.
- Minimum 1 year experience managing people, team, and/or project leadership.
- Basic business knowledge.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, excellent listening skills. Communicate effectively to a wide variety of audiences.
- Ability and desire to develop strong people management skills to engage and inspire others and be willing to develop the skills necessary to manage differences and resolve conflicts.
- Experienced with managing projects and organizing significant volume of work.
- Experienced in prioritizing and managing business unit requests.
- Demonstrated interpersonal and conflict management skills.
- Understand safe laboratory practices and lab safety programs.
- Ability to travel as required.
- Responsible for balancing resources to address business unit needs and employee development needs.
- Responsible for the effective management of operating ($1-5MM) and capital ($750K) budgets.
- May require domestic and possibly international travel.
- Requires use of appropriate PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) to fulfill safety requirements.
While headquartered in the United States, Lubrizol is truly a global specialty chemical company. We have a major presence in five global regions and do business in more than 100 countries. Our corporate culture ensures that Lubrizol is one company throughout the world, but you will find each region is a unique place to work, live and play.
Lubrizol is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, citizenship, age, religion, marital status, military service, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, or any other characteristic or trait protected by federal, state, or local law.</span> <p class="job-location"> <span class="jobmarkets"> <br /><strong>Nearest Major Market: </strong>Cleveland <br /><strong>Nearest Secondary Market: </strong>Akron </span> <span class="jobsegments"> <br /><strong>Job Segment: </strong> <span itemprop="industry">Chemical Research, Engineer, Laboratory, Manager, Engineering, Science, Management, Research </span> </span> </p> </div> <div aria-hidden="true" tabindex="-1"> <div class="applylink pull-right"> <a xml:lang="en-US" lang="en-US" class="btn btn-primary btn-large btn-lg apply dialogApplyBtn " href="/talentcommunity/apply/525832100/?locale=en_US" tabindex="-1">Apply now »</a> </div> </div> <div class="clear clearfix"></div> </div> </div>